Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Picture This: Clothes Line Style Frame

During conversation one day my friend told me that she wanted to make a picture frame that contained several other pictures hanging on string; sort of like this one here. Shortly after that I got the idea of making one for her and gifting it to her at her bridal shower! In my head I envisioned myself finding a wonderful ornate and antique frame at a thrift shop, you know the ugly gold ones you see framing old paintings? I was going to find one of those and spray paint it to match the frames in their bedroom. This task proved harder than I originally thought.
I ended up purchasing a frame from a home decor store. It was tacky and silver, not as intricate as I would've liked but it was the right size and it had good bones. Next I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a can of matte grey spray paint, small twine, miniature clothespins, and a staple gun.
I wanted the clothes pins to be yellow- so following a tutorial I found online I attempted to dye them yellow. Failed. Miserably. It probably would've worked if the clothespins I had weren't pre-treated, but alas they were. So I resorted to painting them dandelion yellow, I like the results much better.
I then removed the glass and backing from the frame and took it outside to be spray painted. Over all it took three coats until I was happy with the coverage. Goodbye tacky silver frame, hello sleek and modern grey frame!


My next step was to attach the twine to the frame. I wanted to do so in three lines. So I spaced them out and tried to staple them into the frame. My strength failed me so I had to have my boyfriend staple them in, but nonetheless it was successful.
I hung pictures of my friend and her fiance on the strings using two clothes pins per picture. I am pleased to say I am thrilled with the results and so is she!

I am annoyed (with myself) to say I didn't take any pictures of the finished product or the process of putting the twine on the frame... I will try my best to remember to take a picture next time I'm at her house!

No comments:

Post a Comment