Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A Polenta Worth Blogging About


As you all know I'm doing the 28 Day Jumpstart, it's going good, thanks for asking! Currently I've lost three pounds and I think that's pretty spectacular considering I've only really changed my eating habits. The meals have all been good (this weeks lunch isn't my favorite but it's alright); dinner this week is an alternation between Pumpkin Lasagna and Polenta. I know you're probably stuck on the fact that I just said PUMPKIN Lasagna so let's get this out of the way. It's normal cheese lasagna with pumpkin puree added into the mix and it's is actually pretty damn good- but that's not why we're all here so on with the show!
I've never made polenta before and I didn't know what it was, honestly. My friend and I scoured all of Wal-Mart searching for polenta and after asking a man who had no clue what we were talking about we resulted to grabbing cornmeal instead. This was only because in the FitGirl recipe it says polenta/cornmeal/grits. Little to our surprise on the back of the bag of cornmeal there was a recipe for polenta! Granted I didn't follow said recipe, it was just reassuring that it was there and I knew I was getting the right thing.
So tonight was the night, the night I rid myself of my polenta-virginity so to say. I began by opening up the recipe on my computer. I started to sautee my shrimp (my choice of polenta protein) and then placed the cornmeal in a bowl with what seemed like way too much water and microwaved it for six minutes. When my shrimp was almost done and the polenta had three minutes left I added cherry tomatoes and basil into the skillet with the shrimp. I then grabbed the cornmeal from the mic and was shocked to see it had absorbed all of the water! I did as the instructions said and added in the ricotta cheese and some seasonings and then spread it out on a plate and topped it with my shrimp tomato mixture. 
This dish was great and healthy and I could probably eat this for ever. It's not a great meal prepping meal because the polenta doesn't stay spreadable for long and I'm not sure how it would be reheated. I think I may add in my leftover spinach from last week's meals when I make this again Thursday.

Happy & healthy eating!




Fit Girl's Guide's Dreamy Polenta

1/4c  medium grind cornmeal
1 serving shrimp                 
1/4c part-skim ricotta       
1 1/4c water                                  
handful of cherry tomatoes (sliced)     
handful of fresh basil (chopped)

Put the cornmeal in a microwave safe bowl with the water. Microwave for 6 minutes. While that's cooking start to sautee your shrimp in olive oil. When the cornmeal has about 2 minutes left add the tomatoes and basil to the shrimp. When cornmeal is done immediately stir in the ricotta cheese and add salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste. Spread the polenta on a plate and top with your shrimp and tomatoes.
There you have it, a healthy (and under 400 calorie) meal in less than 10 minutes!



P.S. Check this out! I bought these super cute little lights at Target for $3! I hung them up in the center of my patio railing using command hooks. I think they look super cute!


                      
        

No comments:

Post a Comment