Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Polishing the Patio



In no way, shape, or form do I consider myself anything more than someone with novice experience when it comes to gardening. I mean, when I was younger botany was my thing but middle school knowledge doesn't transfer well into adulthood. For the last few years, as some of you know, I have been in love with plants and my little patio "garden-" lately though it has been in the need of some serious TLC. 
Yesterday I made it my mission to clean and replant everything that has been needing it (I even said good-riddance to a couple of sore thumbs). This isn't a tutorial as much as it's a follow up from my garden post that I made a year ago. At that point I was IN LOVE with my succulents and I still am today, just a few of them had to go though... One being the original Donkey Ears I received from my mom- this plant is like a contagious disease and it goes where ever it wants and puts babies in the soil of other plants and it just needed to go. I actually put this one by the trash a couple of months ago, but surprisingly enough (yet not really at all) I found some of its offspring still trying to take root last night; don't worry they're gone too. 
The Kalanchoe Luciae is doing well although the mother plant has since died off. I'm not sure what happened with it but it started to rot at the stem so I broke it off before it took into the other two plants that had sprouted from it. The Neoregelia Fireball is growing nicely, the baby from last year is currently growing its own baby. The two original pieces are dying off but that's normal with this type of plant. Now for the Echeveria Cante! To say this plant is doing well may be sort of an understatement. All of the babies are good and every once in a while I find a stray leaf and allow for it to grow some roots before I toss it into the planter too!
Now I'll get you up-to-date with some visuals!
Above on the left what you see is my spider plant after it had been removed from its original basket. The majority of those roots were entwined in the lining of the basket, I was just amazed with how large the roots actually were! On the right above you see one of my original succulents from my Home Depot trip so many years ago. I was disappointed with this one until recently because it hadn't grown much at all, but now it's sprouted three new plants and should do well in its new arrangement.



All three pictures above are before I cleaned and re-potted. In the top photo you can see the aforementioned succulent in the far left container along with a piece of trailing jade I laid in there a couple months ago, too lazy to plant it. Continuing to the right in the same image is the poor amaryllis that Ricky brought home from work. The bulbs hadn't been stored properly so it began to bloom before it was even potted. When he brought it home it had flowers and hardly any green leaves. Next are two succulents he has brought home over time- one being the same Kalanchoe Luciae. You can see the Echeveria Cante hiding on the ground there too with the babies of the original Kalanchoe Luciae on its other side. 
The next image on the lower left shows the plants mentioned above as well as my Lipstick Plant. Can you see how ratty that basket is?! Yeah, it needed to be changed... I planted this plant in a hanging basket way before I should've, honestly. I propagated this plant from the mother plant at my dad's house, it has taken almost two years for it to grow this big. It's never had flowers but that might be do to Stella always breaking them off while it has been sitting on the ground. Next to it there you can see my Jade in a pot way too small with not enough drainage.
The picture on the right shows a dead bromelaid, my three Christmas Cacti (although they're more like New Years Cacti if you go by when they're blooming!) and a very "let go" succulent. All have been saved, don't fret. 


Christmas Cacti and Amaryllis happily planted in their new homes.


I combined the two succulents and the Trailing Jade in this container, it looks much better this way! I didn't change anything in the plant on the right. You can also see my sweet potato project poking up in the middle!


Happily hanging in brand new soil and baskets! I'm worried that the larger basket will allow for my spider plant to grow too heavy... but hopefully that doesn't happen. In the right photo you can see where I replanted the succulents Ricky brought home as well as a better angle of my Echeveria. I put the Jade in a larger pot with fresh soil, I'm hoping it grows larger now.

Happy planting!


No comments:

Post a Comment