Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Sweet Potato Burrito


As you all know I recently took part in the Fit Girl's Guide 28 Day Jumpstart. Over the course of 28 days I am proud to say that I lost 6 lbs; the next challenge starts on April 18th and I plan on diving right back in with that one! Throughout the challenge I picked up on some healthier eating habits which were the main aide over these past few weeks (I worked out like 60% of the time that I should have) and they've allowed for me to be more experimental when it comes to choosing what meals to make at home. 
Today I was wondering what I'm going to have for lunch before I have to head off to the night shift at work and just as I was contemplating just heating up some leftovers from last night I remembered that I still have ingredients from last weeks meal prep. My inspiration for this dish came from Fit Girl's Guide's Sweet Potato Street Tacos which were surprisingly delicious and probably one of my top tree meals from the jump start. 
I got up off the couch and set my phone (and all of its distracting, not to mention time consuming, apps) aside. I pulled from the refrigerator and pantry a few items that I thought I would be needing- sweet potato, black beans, chicken, spinach, tomato, cheese, and sour cream along with cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder from the spice drawer. And I mixed it all up in a skillet and viola! my meal has been made. I put it all on two left over wheat tortillas and had enough to eat for dinner tonight or tomorrow. What makes this meal even easier was that both the chicken and the black beans were already in my fridge ready to go from last weeks meals. 
Below I'll leave the recipe so you can try to make this yourself at home; I'm not putting any measurements because I didn't measure anything and you can do it to your own meal plan preferences. Let me know what you think and any suggestions that you may have.
Happy Fit Cooking!


Sweet Potato Burrito

Ingredients:
Sweet Potato-diced
Black Beans
Tomato-diced
Chicken-diced
Spinach
Jalepenos 
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Sour Cream
Tortillas
Spices-Cumin, Oregano, Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder
  1. Microwave the sweet potato in a bowl with a little bit of water for two minutes to soften them up and make cooking quicker
  2. Saute the chicken and cooked sweet potato in a skillet over medium heat
  3. Cover with spices and then drizzle with olive oil. Stir to combine the ingredients
  4. Add in black beans, diced tomato, and jalepenos. After a few minutes add in spinach and allow to wilt before transferring to tortilla
  5. Spread the sour cream on the tortilla and then sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese
  6. Top with the sweet potato mixture, roll into a burrito and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment