Thursday, March 5, 2015

Owning a Pit Bull

I've owned animals all my life, anything from red-earred sliders to ponies. Never have I been criticized for the type of animal I own. Growing up in the country, I guess it doesn't matter to people whether you have a poodle or a doberman; they're all the same there. Living in the city, it's a tad different.
Meet Stella
(I probably could have chosen a less vulnerable picture, but it serves its purpose.)

Twice I have taken Stella to the dog park. Only Twice. Both times I've left with the same feelings. Ashamed of people's feelings towards my dog. Stella is a puppy. She plays as puppies do: frantically, wildly, and without any reserve. She's also a growler; not in a mean way, in a "vocal puppy" way. When she runs up into a group of labs and collies and starts to play, all is fine until she growls. Then the owners freak out, labeling her as a "mean dog" and pulling away their dogs, all looking with distaste at the "troublemaker." If a "nicer breed" were to do the same thing no one would think twice, but because Stella is a pit bull people automatically judge her for her looks. I don't understand how you can't see through the breed and see her for what she is: a playful puppy.
Before I owned her I was never an advocate for any breed, I didn't see the issues as anything that was too pressing- now I realize I was wrong. When I'm walking my dog people shouldn't veer to the other side of the sidewalk (sometimes even in the grass!) especially not when I'm already making sure she isn't near you. Children are afraid of her because of what their parents have taught them. This isn't okay. Any dog, any size or breed, has it in them to be mean. It's in how they're raised, not their bloodlines. I rescued my dog from the streets, I gave her a better life. She is part of my family and I'll be dammed if I allow for people to continue looking at her in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment