Monday, March 16, 2015

Vertical Herb Garden

When cleaning up my patio I found a piece to Stella's crate which was tossed out here (why it never made it to the trash I don't know). Alas it stuck around and just as I was about to trash it I gave it a second glance- this piece of cage could in fact be used as a trellis of sorts! Then I was confronted with the everlasting issue of hanging space on my patio; I tried to hang a planter from the wall only to discover you need a special drill bit to screw into stucco, or maybe a more powerful drill than mine. Then I looked at the closet door! If there was a way to hang it from the door... I was inside getting an over-the-door hanger in mere seconds. It worked! Just place the hanger on the door and hang the grate from it and voila! I've created a trellis.
Now the task was to buy herbs, pots, and some sort of doohickey to fasten the pots in order to be hung on the trellis. I imagined three small herbs hanging on the lower portion and a vine hanging on the top half. For my inspiration for the hanging pots I was picturing something like ikea's fintorp, and if all else had failed I would have used that system; I didn't want to jump to that though because I wanted this to be 100% my own.
Next stop: Home Depot. I started in the garden center and found three herbs: basil, cilantro, and oregano (they were 5 for $10/$2 each). I then tried to search for a vine... I failed miserably. I found some ivy but it was too large for my project, I also found some other plants that I thought were vines but I wasn't too sure so I didn't purchase them just to be safe. I grabbed three black pots ($2 each) from there as well. Now when it came to fastening the pots my initial plan was to take some sort of metal and wrap it around the pots' tops and then fasten an S-hook to the pot for hanging. Not until I was at Home Depot did I realize that this was difficult. So then I moved on to picturing wrapping rope around it and the hooking the S-hook onto it, in the same fashion but this would look more appealing and match the style I have on the patio. I found some nice rope for about $3. I found a door hanger at Target that was on sale for $5 so it seemed like a steal despite the tacky yellow color... but when I got it home I noticed it didn't quite fit over the door on the patio due to the thickness so I had to switch it with the one in the bathroom... Now I have a tacky yellow hanger in the bathroom.
It wasn't until I began this project that I realized how annoying this rope was to work with... I kept trying to wrap it and make what I was picturing all along but it wasn't working correctly and after five or so failed attempts I admitted to myself it wasn't going to work at all, I needed another idea. 
I resulted with cutting a length of rope twice the circumference of the top of the pot. I looped it around the pot, tied it once and the removed it and continued to braid (or twist) the rope around itself. after I completed the circle I put it back on the pot and created a loop with one of the loose ends and tied it with a small piece of twine that was used in the rope's packaging. I tied the other end around as well for a more secure hold. I did the same thing with the other two. I then planted the plants in each pot. The plants I got were placed in biodegradable planters so you just tear off the bottom and plant it. I found that I also needed to tear off a bit from the top so that it covered more easily. But after planting and watering my project was complete! Now all I need is a vine for the top, I think I've decided on a sweet potato vine because it's cheap and it's something I can root in my own kitchen and I can never say no to that! Over all I spent about $20 on this, I don't think that's bad at all for how it turned out and I'll save money from now on on fresh herbs! 


No comments:

Post a Comment